a

MakerSlide shipping update

First I want to thank everyone for making the first MakerSlide production run possible.  The open source hardware community, Bart Dring, and the active community over at Buildlog have exceed even our greatest expectations for MakerSlide.

We closed the orders for the first MakerSlide production run on  April 23rd and promised everyone that ordered that we would ship them within 45 days.  For those of you that don't know about MakerSlide it is an open source linear extrusion that combines a linear railing system with structural support.  The MakerSlide design was invented by Bart Dring. Here's what it looks like...



Now for the update.  We had a few bumps in the road during production.  The original die that we thought we could use to run the extrusion broke so we had to have a new die manufactured.  As you can see on the diagram above there is a new and improved design that makes the extrusion easier to run through the die.  The top cross section uses one less rib.  Bart had some MakerSlide in his garage so we hired a messenger service and 4 strong guys loaded it all onto a truck and then unloaded it at Inventables.  Here's what it looked like when it got to our office on Wednesday afternoon.




The new die took 2.5 weeks to manufacture and it took the extruder another 1.5 weeks to run the extrusions, cut the, and send them out to be anodized.  When they got back from the anodizer we paid for them to bag them in plastic bags to prevent scratches in shipping.  On Thursday the MakerSlide arrived at Inventables HQ, here's a picture of what it looked like:




Since the MakerSlide was sold in 1200mm and 2000mm sections we had to order expandable boxes that could be adjusted to either size MakerSlide. We hired 4 temporary workers to help use assemble the boxes because it was rather time consuming to build them.  After a day of building telescoping boxes we decided that tubes would have been a better solution.



 Here's what they looked like after we assembled the boxes...


International orders had to be cut down with the saw pictured below to fit into a smaller box because the post office would not allow international shipments with boxes this long to most countries. USPS dictates the following size standards:
    • Maximum length: 36 inches
    • Maximum length and girth combined: 79 inches.
    • Maximum weight limits vary by country.





We set up a station to pick and pack all the accessories and include them in the boxes with each MakerSlide.


We set them out on the dock in batches of 40-50 at a time and so far we have had 6 UPS trucks come by and pick up the packages.  Over 150 orders have shipped and we expect to finish the orders from the first batch on Monday.  


Thanks to everyone for all your patience and support as we went through this process for the first time.  We learned a lot and look forward to your feedback and see what everyone is going to make with their MakerSlide.  We'll do another update soon.  As you can see from the picture below...we're exhausted.


9 comments:

Mark n Trish Carew said...

Great job guys. Congratulations on working you way through this process. We look forward to receiving our Makerslide and creating and sharing wonderful new ideas!

Anonymous said...

Will the die change affect the stability or rigidity of the slide.

Doug F. said...

Thanks for sharing your process. It looks like a lot more work than I would have figured. It appreciated and I'm looking forward to building a camera slider with my new bits.

Anonymous said...

will sleeping on the box affect the stability or rigidity of the side? :)

Anonymous said...

So, will some people be receiving the original design MakerSlide from Bart's garage and others receiving the new design? It wasn't quite clear why some stock came from Bart and the other from the new extrusion. I do wonder, as someone else mentioned, about the potential loss of rigidity by removing what seems to be an essential cross-brace.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous has some good questions.

--
That Canadian Dude

Zach kaplan said...

Bart did a post on the profile change here http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1275&p=11121&hilit=cross#p11121

bdring said...

The question regarding the change in profile were addressed in the forum link mentioned above. It goes into a lot more structural analysis and detail that I want to go into in this comment.

Bottom Line: The two version should be the same. The small change in Area Moment of Inertia is offset by the change to a more structural alloy 6105-t6.

While Inventables was gearing up to handle MakerSlide, I had a large order coming that I could not delay. It had all the pre cut 3D printer pieces I needed. I agreed to store the material until they were ready to ship.

Craig The Fabricator said...

I received my MakerSlide today and it looks great. Big thank you to Inventables, Bart, and everyone else who pre-ordered for helping put this production run together to give us access to some great structural and linear motion components to build off of. Hope the success of this effort allows for MakerSlide (and all the accessories) to be a continually stocked/available item.